Monday, September 10, 2012

Festa Della Rificolona

Festa Della Rificolona.  Every year on September 7th, the children in Florence, Italy walk in a parade with family, friends, a band, and more starting at Santa Croche, and ending in a plaza around Il Duomo.   The reason of this is because farmers, traders, would come in to celebrate the birth of Virgin Mary.  People would then sell their food, goods, and services because of the abundance of people that would be there for the festival.  Today, there are a few food vendors and a gathering where the mayor speaks and there are a few performances.  I went to the festival and participated with a lantern (even though I’m not a kid, I wanted the full experience) and tasted some new sweet treats that I’ve never had before.  Everything was abundant and delicious.  I wish I could learn some of the recipes that were used.  On the following day, part of Il Duomo opens up and has free entry in honor of Festa Della Rificolona.  I spent the evening with a woman from Kazakhstan who knew a lot about Italian culture.

 If anyone ever gets the chance to witness this awesome gathering, you will not be disappointed!  Children were flocking the streets and parents, restaurants, families, and friends were all gathered to watch this event.  Overall, it was a ton of fun.  Check out the video, it's not much but it's a quick idea of what it was like!  I couldn't get in a good enough position to get everything and see all of the lights. 

No comments:

Post a Comment